If you like porridge then you will love this recipe, and if you don’t like porridge then prepare to be converted! Porridge really doesn’t have to be a boring bowl of beige; think of it as a blank canvas to dress up with healthy, colourful goodness and you will soon realise just how exciting porridge can be! Porridge is simply one of the best breakfasts that you can give yourself because it keeps you feeling full for hours and you can combine it with other ingredients to tick every nutritional box that your body needs.
This porridge recipe contains complex carbs from the oats; protein from the protein powder & almonds; healthy fats from the almonds; fibre & natural sugars from the raisins; and antioxidants from the raw cacao nibs. If you have any maca powder then that will simply add an earthy flavour to the porridge and give you an extra energy boost. I absolutely love this recipe with cold splashes of almond milk as I love the contrast in temperatures, and will often add a tsp of honey or bee pollen if I’m craving a little more sweet!
- ½ cup oats
- 1 cup nut milk (I use almond)
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder (I use Sunwarrior) (or vanilla extract)
- 1 tbsp maca (optional) (I use Organic Burst)
- 1 pinch seasalt
- Crushed almonds (personal taste) (to serve)
- Cacao nibs (personal taste) (to serve)
- Splash of nut milk (to serve) (I use almond)
- Honey/maple syrup/agave (to serve)
- Add the oats and nut milk to a saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over a high heat & cook the oats until soft.
- Add the raisins & vanilla protein powder (or extract) to the saucepan & stir.
- Once the porridge has thickened, turn off the heat and pour into a bowl.
- Serve with crushed almonds, cacao nibs, a splash of nut milk & sweetener of your choice.